Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Beach Books


I clean books every day and ship them to cities all over the world. Sometimes a book has a thin line of sand in the crease of the cover -- then I know it's been to the beach. Lucky book. It's been on vacation! Of course, whoever dragged it across the Pacific Ocean didn't have room to cart it back home after shopping for macadamia nuts and T-shirts. I wonder if it's actually been read or if it just rode along to the bay packed in a straw basket with the towels and water bottles. I see a lot of bikini-clad women reading Janet Evanovich and Danielle Steele. But I don't sell their books. There aren't too many tourists reading Wallace Stegner or John Steinbeck. So, I'm impressed when I clean a sandy book by James Michener ("Hawaii") or Gabriel Garcia Marquez ("Love in the Time of Cholera"). And I'm glad I can send it off to someone who might just actually read it.

2 comments:

Shay said...

Aunt Sarah That pic. is so totally sweet. I am in Las Vegas right now and it is totally awsome. But I am still jealous that u live in HAWAII!! love you lots bye bye

shay shay smoot

Bear of Very Little Brain said...

I love it here on your blog! Love that you have books and beaches in your every-day life - I can see you cleaning your books right at the kitchen island, smell the Goo Gone and Clorox wipes, see the neatly stacked piles of books to ship. I know there's sacks or boxes of just-bought books at the foot of the stairs. I see the faces of the merchants you bargain with for the books, and the cubbies the books have been shelved on a few weeks in the Salvation Army store and the libraries and the thrift stores waiting for you to come take them home! I hear water lapping against the shores - all of them! - as you travel home with books. I miss it. I DON'T miss packaging them every one, and taking them to the post office though. LOL! Lots and lots of love, Nat