Friday, April 25, 2008

Singin' in the Rain


The rain came fast and hard today. I was on my way out the door to run errands when it hit. I had a Wal-Mart bag full of returns in one hand and my planner, purse, keys and sunglasses in the other. I didn't want to look for my umbrella, so I grabbed a K-Mart bag out of the pantry with my pinkie and slung it over my head a la mother's rain bonnet. As soon as I opened the screen door, the wind whipped the bag out of my hand and the water pouring out of the rain gutter soaked my head. I let out a scream and ran down the stairs where the waterfall flowing off the deck soaked my back. I threw everything into the front seat of the car and cursed the day I moved to Hawaii where nothing is ever dry and the mildew grows like flowers.

The potholes on my dirt lane were filled with brown mud. I looked over at the construction site in my front yard and realized how sad it all looked uninhabited and surrounded by boards, paint and sawhorses.

When I pulled out into the street, I noticed a woman in her late forties riding a bicycle. She certainly wasn't hurrying with her head ducked down trying to shield herself from the rain. Far from it! She was dressed in a brown, canvas safari hat, huge sunglasses, a rust-colored tank top and shorts. She was slowly zig-zagging down the street like a little girl singing to herself. And she had a huge grin on her face -- enjoying every last raindrop with complete abandon!

No comments: